Last week I shared a list of 10 things to do before your boudoir session (read it HERE) and like every good DO list, I wanted to follow up with a list of Don’ts. Some of these things will be completely obvious, but others might not.
In my experience there are 10 things that will ruin your boudoir session, here is my list of DON’Ts:
- Don’t Spray Tan. Ok, well, not really… let me explain. I am all for the safe way to get the “just home from San Tropez” look, but PLEASE, don’t get your spray tan the day before (or even worse, the day of) your boudoir session. Give your spray tan a few days to “calm down” before your session, otherwise you may end up looking like a character from Jersey Shore in your final images.
- Don’t Wax or Shave the day before. This is especially true for legs and bikini area and anywhere on your face. Razor bumps are REALLY hard to edit out. Play it safe, do your hair removal routine two or even three days in advance.
- Don’t experiment with a new hair stylist, hair style, or hair color. If you’re feeling brave, and need a change, schedule that appointment for the next day! Its all about playing it safe.
- Don’t forget your shoes. This sounds like a no brainer, but its easy to forget extra shoes. In Part 1 I suggest packing the day before and laying out every outfit. This strategy will help you remember important pieces like shoes, jewelry, accessories, and props.
- Don’t pick you face. So what, you had a flare up or ate a piece of stress chocolate and woke up with a pimple. I can easily fix that in Photoshop. What’s harder to correct? all of the red swollen and blistered skin you;ll have if you squeeze or pick at a zit, pimple, or blemish.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to do your shopping. So often we end up settling for something that we either don’t really like or doesn’t really fit when we shop last minute. Take the time to start planning for your shoot immediately after you book it. This will give you time to try different looks, receive any ordered garments, and change your mind with out becoming stressed out.
- Don’t wear overly tight clothes to the shoot location. Skinny jeans, leggings, and tight bras are notorious for leaving lines on your skin. Since the entire point of the boudoir shoot is to show off your skin, stick with comfortable clothes that won’t leave unsightly lines on your skin when you are posing in that pretty lingerie you’ve picked out.
- Don’t wear white deodorant. This should be self explanatory.
- Don’t forget your props and accessories. I want you to have fun! Bring in that multi-strand pearl necklace, those handcuffs, those earrings you got on your anniversary, or anything else that will help your personality shine through.
- Don’t fill your head with negative self talk. Remember you are doing this because you are worth it, and you are beautiful. Its perfectly okay to be nervous, but my number one rule during boudoir photo time is “No Negative Self Talk”. I am here to give you an experience that will leave you feeling on top of the world, but no ones voice (not even mine) is louder than the one in your head. I will pose you head to toe so that you look and feel your absolute best. If there are body images issues that you have, lets talk off line so I can make sure to capture you in your best light.